Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Animal House

So, Zachary and I are packing for camp this afternoon. I have my little checklist and a pen and am sitting on the floor, suitcase open, directing his packing efforts. Numerous exchanges going something like:

"You need to get two swimsuits, buddy."

"Yup, got it,momma. What about the SuperSoaker Watergun?"

"That will go in last"

Different versions of the first sentence ... remove two swimsuits, insert, 5 outfits, sunscreen, bug spray, toothbrush, partridge in a pear tree, you get the idea. And all exchanges end with:

"What about the Supersoaker Watergun?"

"That will go in last."

Really, the watergun was by far his greatest concern. Well, really, his only concern. This was never more evident than when we got to the personal hygiene part of the list:

"Okay, dude, need you to get a bar of soap."

Child looks at me, head cocked to the side like a confused dog, and, completely perplexed, says, "What do I need soap for?"

After explaining to him that while the realist in me knows that that soap will at best be used to soap the windows of the cabin, the mommy in me truly hopes that at some point over the next four days it will actually come in contact with him in a shower-like setting. (Maybe he could lather up, fully clothed, while being shot with the Supersoaker watergun?) Yup, that's my boy. I am so proud.

Finally packed, with Supersoaker Watergun securely in place, we arrive at camp. It was like walking into a scene from "Animal House."

There are 13, count 'em, 13 boys in this one cabin, with two counselors. I open the door and have to immediately duck to avoid being hit by a water balloon. There is a boy in front of me , arm-farting; another is hanging off the side of a bunk bed; three more are taking down the counselor in a wrestling maneuver that would make the WWF proud. They were one stripper short of a frat party.

Zachary was in HEAVEN!!!! This was so a "No Girls Allowed" zone. And frankly, no girls would want to be there! I thought I would get all teary-eyed, 'cause that's what I do, but, nope; there was no room for sentimentality in this joint. I made that boy's bed and got the heck out of Dodge. Waaaaaaaaaay too much testosterone in there for me, thankyouverymuch! He will have a blast. I will miss him immensely, and when he comes home Saturday, I will greet him at the door with Lysol and Febreeze.

We fed Mandy her obligatory Carrabba's cheese ravioli tonight. She ate it up, somewhat happily, and will be without until tomorrow early afternoon. She was way tired and stressed tonight. Tomorrow will be an incredibly long and stressful day. We have to be at the clinic at 9:30 a.m. to get her port accessed and draw blood for labs and see the doctor. Then the MRI, then recovery, then back to the clinic for chemo, then home. Please keep her in your prayers for good results on the scans. We won't hear those results for until next week, most likely

Alannah finished up middle school today. She is officially a high school freshman right now. I did cry about that one this morning. I just can't believe she is a freshman already. She is a beautiful and amazing young woman and makes me proud every single day.

The Mandy's fund garage sale fundraiser is this Saturday! Come one, come all! There is a TON of stuff and I hear a rumor, even a bake sale. YUM! It will happen at 1210 Thomas Jacobs Place, Brandon, and will run from 8am till noon. Hope to see lots of you there. All the proceeds will go to benefit Mandy's Fund through the Children's Cancer Center. Thanks so much to everyone who is doing so much to put this on and donate items and cheer it on! So, come on down, go bargain hunting and say hi!!

That about covers it. Thanks as always for checking on her. Love to all~

No comments: