Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reminders

Sometimes I think it isn't in the forefront of her mind. Sometimes, I think maybe she has forgotten about it, if only for a second. Most of the time when I think that, I am wrong.

I had put Mandy to bed tonight. I laid down and snuggled her for a while. She was mostly asleep. I left the room and about 10 minutes later she comes out and says,
"Momma, can cancer kill you?"

The conversation was just what you would expect...yes, it can, but, your kind of tumor is very, very treatable. We have good Doctors and good medicine, blah blah blah. At the end of the day, she is scared she has a disease that could kill her. She does. I want to lie and say no, cancer doesn't kill people. I want to lie and say I absolutely know it will all be okay. I want to lie and say there is nothing to be scared of. I really want to say that.

But I don't. Because I believe in being honest. I reassure her while telling the truth, sometimes certainly a very watered down version of the truth, but the truth. Maybe I should lie....I don't know.

I think it never, ever for a second leaves her mind. That is no way to be 7 years old.

No comments: